Evidence Based Nursing Practice
You are to respond to a clinical scenario by applying the key concepts of evidence-based nursing practice.
Contemporary nursing practice requires the use of evidence to improve health outcomes for patients, families, and populations. It is important for nursing students to understand the relationship between the generation of evidence and the delivery of safe and effective nursing care.
1. Define evidence-based practice and identify key stages, principles, and processes of an evidence-based practice approach in nursing
2. Define the research process and identify common research methods within qualitative and quantitative paradigms
3. Describe the relationship between research and identify evidence-based nursing praxis
4. Evaluate data and research findings
5. Determine ways to improve nursing practice and patient outcomes by using an evidence-based practice approach to planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care
6. Examine the issues and ethical considerations which impact on nursing and health care research
• You attend clinical placement at an aged care home where the Nurse Unit Manager tells you they are wanting to find out best practice for preventing constipation in residents. The research question they want you to answer is: “In adults, what nurse-initiated interventions are effective for treating constipation?” Or
• You attend clinical placement in a hospital where the Nurse Unit Manager tells you they are wanting to find out best practice for preventing pressure ulcers. The research question they want you to answer is: “In adults, what nurse-initiated interventions prevent the onset of pressure ulcers?”
You are to APPLY evidence that is categorized by the National Health and Medical Research Council as Level I (systematic reviews/meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials) or Level II (randomized controlled trials) to answer your research question. This means, you are to include:
1.A table of included studies with the following information summarized from each study (Author, Year, Study Design, Population, Intervention Type, Comparison/Control, Outcome)
2.APPLY the findings from Level I-II evidence to your scenario, clearly answering your chosen research question.