To prepare your responses, review the reasons that motivated your initial interest in human services careers. Think about why you chose the particular concentration that you did (child and family services, gerontology, or management). As you reflect, note how your motivations have helped you to complete your degree program thus far. This type of reflection will help you to understand the needs, obstacles, and motivations of your future clients or the staff you will supervise. Jot down some notes about how you faced and managed obstacles, handled failures, and celebrated successes, and then respond to the Discussion topics listed.
- Using notes from past classes and experiences from those Discussions, create a scenario for your primary post that demonstrates one of the theories that you studied from any of your previous human service courses. Focus your scenario using a hypothetical client who is representative of the population of your intended career. In your description, describe the type of agency that is providing the service.
- Read and respond to at least two of your classmates’ scenarios and provide strategies (from your past classes) to help the client to resolve whatever issues are indicated in the scenario. Best practice is to follow this process:
- Identify the client’s main issues
- Assess the client’s potential needs
- Using these facts, propose some intervention strategies